St. Patrick’s began as a mission from St. Michael’s, but was given its own parish boundaries in 1861. After the Redemptorists preached a mission at St. Michael’s in 1880, they were invited to take charge of St. Patrick’s. This they did in 1881. St. Patrick’s became a center for many ministries: Germans and other immigrants, parish missions and retreats, confessions of religious, hospital chaplaincies, devotion to Our Mother of Perpetual Help. As the headquarters for the Vice-province and Province when these were established, it was also the scene of much administration and the works that flowed from that. In many ways, it was the Province’s “mother house”. The present rectory on McCaul was built in 1886; the present church in 1908.